Friday, October 31, 2008

Dharamshala Dreams

Ever since I visited Dharamshala two years ago, I have dreamt about my return. I felt such a deep connection and have carried that feeling in my heart ever since. Nestled in lush greenery and mountainous terrain, it is home and refuge to the Dalai Lama and many Tibetan people. This special place emanates hope, peace and happiness.



This time I returned with Bob and the Adampur contingent. We had an incredible ride from Punjab to Dharamshala in Bill’s (Bob’s Dad) new Scorpio Jeep. We made a few pretty cool stops along the way including Hindu temples where we were blessed by a Pundit and an old Fort with heart-thumping views of the countryside. Bhuaji and Gugan stayed with us for one first night as they made the journey specifically to see a Tibetan doctor before heading back to Punjab. Bob got on that program as well and discovered consistencies with the Ayurvedic prognosis. I checked out Vijay’s Universal Yoga where I had practiced Ashtanga Vinyasa two years ago. My first morning, I struggled through the full set of the primary series. Three days later with consistent practice and relaxing afternoon programs I felt stronger and healthier than ever. My hip pain that I have been dealing with has been subsiding over the past couple of months as a result of diligent practice and adapting a slower pace of life. I have managed to decompress the joint and create new space. Ah, the joys of newfound mobility and healing oneself!

On the afternoon of October 22nd we decided to take a walk through rural paths and back roads to the neighboring village of Bhagsu. We soaked up the energy of the soft, green trees stopping to say hello to the naughty little monkeys along the way. Passing prayer flags, roaming goats, fields mid-harvest and places of worship, we made our way to the waterfall. As we started our ascent up the mountain, Bob pulled out the camera and gave it to me to snap a shot of the magnificent vista. I reached into the camera case and discovered a special box that held the most beautiful deep blue topaz ring.




Once I opened the box and saw the sparkles I started to cry. The big question was about to be popped. This was the moment that little girls dream about and it was happening to me. Bob got down on one knee, held my hand and asked me to marry him. We professed our love and commitment and he placed the ring on my finger. It fit perfectly. It was a moment that I will never forget. The rest of the day we explored, laughed and felt truly blessed. We can manifest our reality and make dreams come true.

The next day we found out that the Dalai Lama was going to make a public appearance. What luck! He had returned from Delhi just recently as he had health concerns and was in the hospital. Everyone was very concerned about him but was certain he was much better now. The next day we woke up early to attend the 48th Anniversary ceremony of the Tibetan Children’s School. I understand that each year a certain number of children are smuggled into India from Tibet. This year there were 15 children that were brought to Dharamshala for a chance at a new life. We hiked up the mountain for 45 minutes alongside monks and Tibetan families to catch a glimpse of the Dalai Lama. Upon our arrival we found a place amidst the hundreds who had gathered and quickly spotted His Holiness sitting front and centre in a balcony above the large track and field. Tibetan voices echoed through the loud speaker into the crowd. When ‘His Holiness’’ spoke we instantly recognized the unique intonations of his voice. Everyone stopped to listen, reflect and pray while he spoke in a gentle and playful manner yet strong and firm at the same time. We were witness to this magical moment in history. The newspapers reported that he plans to retire soon. I am so happy that Bob and I were graced with the opportunity to see him together.

No comments: