Friday, February 9, 2007

My new job

Well I suppose it's quite fitting that now I am sitting on the other side of the tourism fence. The yin and yan of life are in full force once again. I am now the Executive Director for Kermodei Tourism -- the 'all-in-one' tourism organization that the City of Terrace has funded and is in full support. It's been an interesting transition full of twists and turns.

Before we left for our holidays, I got a call from KT to come in for an interview. At that point, I had just been laid off by TTS and was getting quite excited by the idea of skiing all winter and working on my yoga boutique. Alas, I landed the job and so I decided to go for it ... to try and make a difference and meet new people. KT's mandate encompasses not only marketing but product and infrastructure development, advocacy and lobbying, training and education. Hmmm, no time like the present to step up to the challenge and continue to learn and grow and change.

As for TTS, their entire Board of Directors resigned as they felt they had no alternative and no support from their membership. This is such a shame as the Society has been in existence for so many years and they had worked so hard to make a name for themselves and to bring visitors to Terrace. In the end, it came down to politics, personalities and perhaps miscommunication.

I hope to bridge the gap between this great divide and help develop Terrace into the premier eco-tourism destination of the north-west.

No comments: