Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Inspiration

A little change of scenery, a shake down of the daily routine, interactions with old friends and new acquaintances definitely adds fuel to the fire. I just returned from nine days in Vancouver where I was in the eye of a social tornado. The first couple of days was spent promoting our beautiful community at the Vancouver Outdoor Adventure and Travel Show while the latter half of the trip I attended the Tourism Industry Conference. This year's theme was entitled 'Creating an Environment for Success', and while there were many inspirational presentations delivered by highly respected individuals such as John Furlong, CEO of Vanoc, Premiere Gordon Campbell, Minister Stan Hagen and the acclaimed Dr. Roberta Bondar, I couldn't help but think about the contradictions we face in the name of progress. For example, one of the main issues leading up to the 2010 Olympic Games is the Blue Sky policy. It was re-iterated time and again that we must lobby our federal government to open our skies and increase the number of flights allowed into our airports. Well in my mind this increase in air traffic leads to a drastic spike in airline pollution and defeats the notion of a green, sustainable tourism industry ... one that BC is supposed to lead by example.

It comes down to each individual, to know in our hearts and minds that we can make positive change and inspire one another. Amidst the hustle and bustle of the networking, listening and conference style eating, I found an oasis in the heart of downtown Vancouver where I could get back to myself and simply let go. Kelly's classes at FLOW Yoga re-invigorated my senses, strengthened my body and calmed my mind. After her Vinyasa class I not only felt ready to tackle the who's who of the conference but felt re-inspired in my own practice. I am an advocate for learning from as many different sources, teachers and masters as possible and it is with this thought I continue on my path ... walking a little taller and feeling more whole.

No comments: