Friday, November 14, 2008

Coming home

Sitting at the Indira Gandhi International Airport, I have mixed emotions. On the one hand, I am looking forward to returning home to my friends and family and starting a new chapter feeling renewed and inspired. On the other, it’s so hard to let go of the traveler’s lifestyle … Seeing the sights, practicing lots of yoga, reading, eating, meeting all kinds of neat folks, chillin’ and relaxing. The mendie on my palms is fading but my memories are crisp and my mind is clear. I gave the last of my rupees to a woman who cleans the washrooms of the airport. As she handed me paper towels to dry my hands, I slipped her the crisp bills. A huge smile overcame her tired face. This unexpected gift would certainly help her family.

It’s hard to believe that just a few days ago I was soaking up the scene at the Golden Palace in Amritsar. Well, it’s time to get back home, work hard and make more dreams come true.

In the last 24 hours we drove from Punjab to Delhi, dodging traffic in the congested streets to pick up Bob’s Dad, from the airport. Bill arrived last night from Prince Rupert ready to continue the renovations of his family home in the village of Nadalim. Charanjeet, Bill and our driver dropped us off at Kedar’s home, a new friend we met through Preya in Canada. With true Indian hospitality, Kedar and his family welcomed us with open arms, taking us to dine at their members-only club in Delhi. The last Indian supper on this journey was scrumptious. Mmmmm, dal, shahi paneer, roti, tandoor … the works.

Now Bob has left on his return flight that takes him through Japan to Vancouver. I am heading to Toronto for a two-week stint in Ontario. Mom and Emeric will be waiting for me at the airport with big smiles, hugs and kisses.

No comments: